Fundraising FAQs

Got a question? Check our FAQ's below​

Over The Wall's Fundraising FAQs

Everyone can get involved with fundraising! If you are under 18, you will need the permission of your parent or guardian, and there may be a minimum age involved with some activities. People of any age can raise money for Over The Wall. Just tell us you’re interested in fundraising, and our team will provide all the support and information you need.

When you sign up to fundraise for Over The Wall, we’ll send you a welcome pack full of information on fundraising for us. You can request a branded t-shirt or running vest, regular newsletters, other materials such as collection tins and leaflets.

Our experienced fundraising team are also on hand to support you every step of the way – we’ll answer any questions you might have, and provide you with top tips to help make your fundraising a success.

Already signed up, but not sure where to start? Email our team.

We are so grateful that you are thinking about fundraising for Over The Wall. There’s a fundraising activity for everyone, and we’re here to help.

Whether you’re looking for a charity place in a larger event, or want to use your own space, whether you’re planning your own event, or working with a team, we ask that you register your fundraising with us so we can support you. 

If you’re looking to take on a challenge, whether it’s running, cycling, swimming, or skydiving, check out what we have to offer, or get in touch with our team.

If you’re planning your own event, from concerts to cake sales, from quizzes to crafts, get in touch for support.

If you want to support Over The Wall at your celebration, including weddings and birthdays, please let us know, as our team would love to share some materials.

If you’re a school, community group, or organisation, our specialist team are here to support your fundraising activities. Please get in touch and let us know what you’re planning, and we’d love to speak to you and help out!

We can provide Over The Wall branded collection tins and buckets – please get in touch with our team to request some. We can also send you a branded t-shirt or vest, and leaflets with information about Over The Wall to make it clear who you’re helping. We can provide all the fundraising materials you need, such as sponsorship forms and leaflets with our logo.

You’ll already know that Over The Wall is a UK based charity for children with serious illness and disabilities, and their families, to discover a world of mischief and magic…but how can you tell others about our transformational camps? Our team have put together this handy guide for talking about Over The Wall and spreading the word.

We recommend using a JustGiving page linked to Over The Wall to collect your donations. All the money is paid directly to us, and you’ll be able to see how much you’ve raised. You can collect money by using a sponsorship form, or you can run a Facebook fundraiser.

If you’ve used a JustGiving page, the money will be paid to us automatically – you don’t have to do anything! We also accept donations by cheque, over the phone, or by BACS (bank transfer). It’s really easy to send us your donations – find out how to pay in your fundraising.

It can take us a week or two to process your donations once we have received them, but as soon as we receive your donation we’ll send you an email or letter to let you know we’ve got them, and thank you for your support.

As a registered charity, Over The Wall is allowed to claim back an extra 25p on every £1 donated to us, through Gift Aid. In order to do this, you will need to check that sponsor or donor is a UK taxpayer, record their home address, postcode, donation amount, and make sure they tick the Gift Aid box on your sponsor form. If you’re using a JustGiving page, this will be done at the point of donation. We’ll then use this information to increase your fundraising total with Gift Aid, at no extra cost to you or your sponsors!

A letter of authorisation outlines that you or your event is an approved, official event raising money for Over The Wall. You might need a letter like this if you plan to do a street collection. Email us telling us your name, address and what you are doing, and we’ll provide the letters.

We simply couldn’t keep running our life-changing camps without your support. The money you raise will help us to keep bringing the mischief and magic of childhood to seriously ill children and their families across the UK. We receive an annual donation from SeriousFun Children’s Network and associated donors to pay for our administration and governance costs, which means that every penny you raise will go towards funding camp activities. It doesn’t matter how much you raise – every pound makes a difference to our campers.

We aim to reach as many seriously ill children and families as possible, so it’s most helpful if your donations are ‘unrestricted’. This means that you are not restricting what project your fundraising and donations are spent on. If you really want your fundraising to go towards a specific camp project, such as residential camps, Camp in the Cloud, or Camp365, please contact our team.

If you are planning to carry out street collections, or collections on public property then a collection licence is needed. You can obtain this through your local authority. It is illegal to conduct this form of cash collection without the proper licence. Door to door collections are not permitted, and your licence will not cover you for this type of fundraising. For any events held on private property, you will require the permission of the manager/owner.

All our work is regulated by the Fundraising Regulator, and we always ensure we are in line with their Code of Fundraising Practice.

Share this page with your friends